Quirky, and proud of it.




STC - Day 6.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Sunday was mainly a day to relax. I was taken to one of the local churches by the parental, where a mysterious invisible choir sang quite nicely. I'm not sure where they were hiding, but they certainly did a good job of it.

There was this little girl in the row in front of us who decided she was bored and peeked over the seat looking at each of us in turn. Those big brown eyes were so intense! I'm usually quite happy to stare someone down, but damn, this little girl was a staring pro. After a little while I decided to throw my ear-wiggling trick and her and I still didn't get a reaction. But shortly afterwards she did make her way to the other end of the row where her mother was and I'm sure I saw her pointing in my direction telling her what a freak I am. :)
So hrm.... no wonder I frighten small children. This one was probably too petrified to react in front of me.

In the afternoon we went out to check out the Jersey beaches. Although they took over an hour to get to, they were indeed beautiful and very very flat. Took forever to get to the water because the sand just kept going. Of course, they pale in comparison with the beauty of Sydney beaches, but you can't have it all.

The beaches we went to were on a peninsula called Sandy Hook. Being a peninsula, it was also previously used as a defence position, Fort Hancock. It's only a ghostly memory of what it once may have been, but the crumbling barracks made the haunting peninsula that much more interesting to explore.

Here are some pictures of Fort Hancock:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Look at how much junk there is on the beach, too. I'm not sure why the photo has that white section on the top and left, but I'll fix it when i have a chance.

Other randomly interesting photos I took that day:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

That last one was of a tiny stalagtite that was forming inside one of the barracks from the previous pictures. Yay for macro!


The other fascinating thing I did on the weekend was try to drive the car. I've been driving for years, you say, it's easy enough! Well, not exactly. It's quite freaky being on the passenger side of the car, even, because I keep looking up at the rear view mirror and getting frustrated that the mirrors are set up all wrong. When I'm on the driver's side, it takes concentrated effort to remember that the indicator is on the left, the windscreen wipers on the right, rather than vice versa as it is in Australia. My poor little brain was ok with driving along the highway, but I tended to drift over to the right, because I'm used to sitting in the right hand side of the lane. I found I would compensate for my off-positioning by putting the car in such a position in the lane where i was in my usual position relative to the lane markings unless i concentrated really hard.
Like many other things, it takes time to rotate things around in your brain. Personally, I found it a lot like trying to lead in dancing - you have to swap everything around, left instead of right for many many things. But not everything, thankfully. If the Americans had decided to swap the accelerator and brake, I can only imagine that utter chaos would result whenever people tried driving in other countries.

I'm not sure if i'll have many more opportunities to drive around, but I'll let you all know if I do.


0 Responses to “STC - Day 6.”

Leave a Comment

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me


My Photo

Name: Swish Lish

Location: Sydney, Australia

  • My profile
  • I like swing dancing and I have a dragon. What more do you need to know?

  • E-mail me: swishlish(at)gmail.com
  • MSN me: flippantgirl@hotmail.com

Previous posts



Random Flickr Pics


Links

Archives



Who links here